Thursday, September 11, 2014

Oceans

The ocean has always been a thing of majesty and beauty to me.  Something about taking in a sunrise sitting on a surfboard gives me a sense of peace that very few other things do, a feeling that is juxtaposed at times with its displays of the sheer power of God and the nature he created around us.  



This juxtaposition is something that comes to mind each time I hear the opening to Hillsong United's Oceans:

You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep
My faith will stand

The balance between awe of the ocean and the fear of going out on "open waters" to me closely parallels my relationship with God and just about every line of the song brings reminders of personal experiences out on the water.  The presence of His majesty draws me in but also creates a deep fear of the unknown that can only be overcome by faith.  Like looking out over the horizon reading an incoming set and picking out the perfect left (for a goofy footer like me), following God's will requires discerning and following signs in the hopes of joy and fulfillment as you take the plunge.

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

There's always a risk of failure due to pride getting in the way, leaving you swirling below the surface unable to discern up from down, panicked and short on breath much like the experience of getting pounded by the lip of a wave.  Like a leash attached to your surfboard floating on the surface above, God is always there to help guide you to the light and a place to rest, a place abundant with life giving air that refreshes and strengthens you for the next set life sends your way.  It's that power and mystery that keeps bringing me back time and time again to be filled with love and awe despite, and in fact because of my shortcomings, as that is the reason He came.

I'll leave you with the closing set of lines that can and should be used for an impactful prayer and reminder of the power we all have in the Spirit:

Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Savior

No comments:

Post a Comment