Sunday, November 26, 2017

Perspective

As I’ve thought and prayed more about how things got off in the spring and again recently I’ve come to realize that it hasn’t been the circumstances of life that have changed but my perspective.  As I mentioned in my previous post, the minute details of life are plentiful and can become all consuming if you let them which can easily happen (at least for me) if the big picture perspective is lost.  Things that don’t matter become the focus and their draw on our attention becomes all consuming and exhausting.

I love this quote by John Eldredge for several reasons:

"Right now I don't think it) my personality) is based on His love at all.  It feels built upon Make It Happen." Walking with God

One, this is how I’m wired—Josh Simon gets things done.  But the second is the seemingly insignificant statement “right now,” which indicates this is a temporary condition and can and will pass with the right amount of refocusing and realignment. Eldridge further elaborates, hitting the nail on the head, at least for me:
"This is nearly constant. This sort of thinking, planning, anticipating, maneuvering comes so naturally. Seeing it so starkly now, I'm left speechless.  May Jesus have mercy."

Striving to knock out task lists, flip cars, hammer down an aggressive budget, make as much happen as possible at work.  Worrying about a myriad of things as Eldridge puts it "We have a bad month financially, and I run with the thought 'we're going to end up living under a bridge.' The truck makes a thumping noise when I start it, and my imagination jumps to 'The engines going. I'd better sell it before it explodes.'"

Speculating about a meeting I wasn't invited to-I bet they're talking about how much I botched up this project and are planning on how they're going to replace me-when the reality is they were just trying to cover something for me because they knew how busy I was working on higher priority tasks.

"It's a form of hypochondria." (Eldredge, Walking with God)

It’s sobering to think about how much of my imagination is wasted on thinking through work scenarios, home and car projects and other unfruitful things. How much of a blessing and heart shifter would it be to dream about the future of my family, ministries, and what God has in store!

I don’t have a magical formula here but as always there are multiple verses that can serve to realign and remind.  The first is a phrase repeated several times in the book of Haggai-“Consider your ways.”  A simple phrase to remind us to evaluate our priorities, motivations, focus and to turn back to God.

Another more lengthy passage I ran across that’s been very encouraging is the words of Paul in Romans 8:

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. (v18-25)

Futility, bondage and corruption is what this fallen world has to offer but freedom, glory and hope await those who are faithful and wait patiently/joyfully/hopefully for what’s to come.  There’s way more than what’s right in front of us and what’s to come is way better, think about your best moments here on earth and you get a glimpse of what’s to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment