Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What a year

2014 has been a year that can pretty much be summed up by Mark 11:24:  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

While I can't honestly say I've had the true green room experience, I feel like I can extrapolate from the experiences of cramming my 5'10 frame into the tiny tubes of east coast waves and say that the stoke of this year matches (and probably exceeds) that of gliding through a perfect double overhead left on a crystal clear day.  From rediscovering my love for biking to the continued financial tweaks and provision, God has provided for us in a huge way.  I've watched my wife (who's about as much of an introvert as me) become a leader in her mom's ministry, stepping out to build relationships in our church, at the gym, the park and countless other places, harnessing the power of 2 Cor 12:9, a verse that's been infinitely helpful to me since I "ran across it" earlier this year:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

I've watched our girls go from the wide stance baby walk to running, climbing, jumping (most of the time on the couch much to my chagrin) and talking up a storm.  I now truly understand what Jesus meant when he referred to a child-like heart.  On the other side of the spectrum, I feel like I have a little more of a handle on my job but still need the constant reminder of the words of 1 Tim 4:12 to guide my words and actions:

Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.

For me personally, it's been a monumental year for spiritual growth thanks to the leadership at our church, a few key dudes investing in my life, and making time for hanging out with God and studying His word.  I also had the rare chance to surf and snowboard in the same year, things that refresh my soul, center me, and remind me of my roots (and increasing age).

Then there's the multitude of healthy babies we've had the joy of seeing born with the hope that God uses them to bless and enrich the lives of friends, family members, and co-workers like our little angels (a word chosen as a reminder despite how they sometimes act) have blessed ours.  Speaking of our angels, by the grace of God we all managed to survive a 3800mi road trip to the east coast where they got to experience a real beach and my home away from home and got to meet all kinds of friends and family who up to that point had only known them through an infinite number of Facebook posts in the year and a half leading up to the trip.

2014 wrapped up with a decision to put our dream of lake living on ice and potentially move closer to our church and the people we've been so blessed to have in our lives.  That said, the desire to live on water will always remain and we will just have to see what God has in store for the future as in the words of Prov 16:9 In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.   

All that said, I feel we're on the cusp of big things for 2015 and I'm anxiously awaiting the next round of God's plans in our lives hinging on the promises of 1 Cor 2:9:

However, as it is written: "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment